Thursday, May 14, 2009

monster of some





There comes a time where I have to explain my tag "Jess of all trades, Monster of some." I like to create little monsters. Draw, paint, marker, clay, play dough... tin foil, whatever. My ultimate goal was to become one of those AMAZING people who get the title "Creature Creator" or "Creature Effects" on the end credits. I wanted to be the head dog when it came to making the three headed ones.



Uh, that dream was put on hold/abandoned. I still want it very much, as my ideal job would be to sit at a desk and design creatures all day long with pen and ink... though I chalk it up to a pipe dream since my drawings are, well... above. Not very polished. So he's not a MONSTER, but I like to think I draw little monsters. This one, like so many, came from my head when I couldn't think of anything else to write in my journal... I start drawing in it. Everytime it's time to buy a new journal it's always a toss up to get lined or unlined (ruled or unruled). I like to get lines, and to tell you the truth my BEST drawings are those that are on lined paper... but then I think of a comment someone gave me in College that I should "get a real sketchbook! You don't want your masterpieces on LINED paper!" Thank you Jay LeClair for haunting my annual Barnes and Noble trip to buy a journal or or a sketchbook, jounal? sketchbook? Ruled, Unruled? Do I feel like I'll be drawing more this year? Do I feel like I'll be sketching more this year? Is there a book with only some lined pages? This past year I ended up getting the unruled journal with a nice bit of metal adornment on the leather cover thinking I would draw more, and alas... wrote more. So now I have this nice leather bound beautiful sketchbook... that I worried in all year without drawing much... having created a lined piece of paper to go behind the pages with "faux" lining so if I felt the need to draw, my masterpiece wouldn't have lines going through, but would ghostily be there as I drew.


And you know what I do with the journals? So sad for this one, but I cut out all the drawings and then burn the book. *SIGH*

Oh, and now I want to be in the Beginning credits, as VFX Supervisor, or at least Production Designer... way to abandon a big dream for an even bigger one. I should just stick with the hobby of drawing, and leave the dreams for sleep, and worry in my ruled journals about getting any job.





2 comments:

  1. What a cool dream job, you never know what the future may hold. I love your drawings. The last one looks like an evil alien squirrel. Maybe post more of your drawings here?
    SQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should just get whatever kind of paper makes you want to draw. Heck, you could draw in cheesy old paperback novels, or on that fun scrapbooking paper.... which would probably look pretty cool.

    suggestion: if you draw on ruled paper with colored lines- like most cheapo mead notebooks- you can knock out the color afterwards in photoshop, et voila! looks like you have a "real" sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete