Tuesday, April 7, 2009

C'mon baby finish what you started, it's incomplete!

A simple 4x4 in squares quilt I started in 1996. This picture reflects where I'm at with it in 2009. The squares are pieces of clothes that I wore out throughout important times of my life. Thus I call this piece the "Memory" quilt. I sew on a very vintage machine from the 40's that converts into a table. For years it was a TV stand in every apartment before this one, damn roomates.

Most of the plaid pieces are Flannel shirts I wore in High School. I wasn't a girl, I was a Seattle trend. "Grunge." It was the time when Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Soundgarden were shaping our experiences. Or at least providing the background music. I never had really been into music until Pearl Jam came along. I was still really into colored jeans too. The clothes follow through to Sr year where in between there is a pair of jeans the Bartlett High School Impressions decorated in the Shepherd Hill Cafeteria during the "Joseph" year. I had everyone sign them. I tried really hard to bring everyone together, team spirit!

Panels of squares later it's college, still drawing on old jeans and a few flannels followed me there. Lot of my HS T-shirts burned out. A T-shirt that was Tye Dyed during Sr week from T.O.W.E.R. makes it's way in. A group called "Teens of Webster Encountering Reality" I was involved in. I designed the T-shirt on my parents computer in the old school PAINT program. There was a time I got involved in groups just to design the T-Shirt... and there are a lot of these making thier way into the quilt.

The quilt has been sewn up to few years ago at the RIIFF when I was really skinny, and had some favorite pieces I would wear during that time. It was a real nice time in my life to be free of the extra weight, and positively a rock star.

So my idea is not to make something that matches the colors of my bedroom, or to anything noble like recycling. It's purely selfish. When I'm lonely, I want to be able to litterally wrap myself in the comfort of memories.



1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about this--wow, very clever. I like this Lucky Charm detail very much.

    ReplyDelete